Monday, January 09, 2012

Anti-Human Trafficking Training

At a conference we attended last year, our hearts were broken during a seminar on the issue of Human Trafficking. Slavery is more prevalent now than at any time in history. Later in the summer, while visiting a church, we heard a missionary speaking about this very same topic. About the horror these women endure, day in and day out. The Lord used these two experiences to kindle a fire inside of me to help women, men, and children locked in this hellish existence.

One Mission Society has a new branch of ministry geared toward helping release, redeem, and restore those caught in slavery. Early last fall, I contacted the director of Hope61, Joyce Oden, to discover how I could help. While there is currently not a branch of the ministry active in Mexico City, I believe that there is a need for one. We may not hear about human trafficking in that city. But we do hear about the drug trafficking. And I believe very fervently that where one is, the other will follow. For now, we are seeking the Lord's leading and direction, to see exactly what role He has in mind for me to serve in this ministry.

Regardless of what that future role will be, there is some required training I must complete before i can serve within Hope61. So I will be flying to Indianapolis in early February and spending the month at OMS headquarters in Greenwood, completing the main four weeks of required training. I will be going by myself. This will be a potentially long month for the whole family, as I have never been away from the children for more than a few days at a time.

We would appreciate your prayers for the following requests:

1. That the Lord will reveal the role He has for me to serve with Hope61 in Mexico City.

2. That He will give me safe traveling mercies as I fly and that He will bless the training. Not only for myself, but for all those participating in the training as well.

3. That He will help Troy and the kids at home. Especially as Troy will take over the kids' home-schooling activities for the four weeks I'm gone.

4. That in our lonely moments when we are missing being together as a family, that God would wrap His arms around us and bring us comfort.

Thank you! I look forward to sharing more with you during my training!

No comments: