Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Time Flies -- The End of Our First Term

It's hard to believe we have less than 24 hours left of our first term here in Mexico City. There are a wide range of emotions we're experiencing, but mainly I'm (Jenny) just numb at the moment. I'm sure it will sink on as we're sitting on the plane tomorrow, or as we're saying perhaps one of the hardest "see ya laters" we've yet had to say tomorrow morning.

It's amazing to think how close you can really get to people you practically live with for two years. We've joked over the last months that we've been like ostriches--but as much as we'd prefer it otherwise, time really does march on. We as a family have been so blessed that God chose to unite our family and the Forsythes during our year in language school and then our first year on the field. Of course, this is not to say that we don't love the rest of our field family, only that we haven't spent as much time with them. We are all so thankful for Skype and in knowing that we'll see them again next summer (we are praying that we'll be funded by July 1, 2015. However, if this is not the case, we intend to come back at least for the big OMS Mexico 25th anniversary celebration next July).

Tonight, also for some reason, I've been thinking a lot about what my parents told me about my first return to the US from Burundi when I was 2. We'd arrived in Africa in time for my 1st birthday, so we'd only been away for a little over a year. But when kids are that little, they have a hard time remembering what life was like before. After living in Africa for a year, I'd had very little interaction with other Caucasians (aside from my parents, grandparents, and other missionaries or foreigners on the field). I can't even imagine how terrifying arriving in the US must have been--that sea of white faces and a landscape I was not at all familiar with. I've heard the story many times, how upon arriving at the airport, I was so overwhelmed with culture shock that when I spotted an African-American police officer, I walked right up to him and put my arms up for him to pick me up. His skin color represented home to me. I know our kids are a bit more culturally experienced than that, but I do wonder how things will be different for them going back. I know it's only been two years, but we've been warned to expect some changes--reverse culture shock.

As difficult and painful as it is to leave this country we've only just started to really feel a part of, we are very much looking forward to our time in the US. We're excited about the opportunity to share with many of you just what God did for and through us in Mexico. About the ministries and people that have so burdened our hearts. And about why we can't wait to get back. We're also looking forward to some time spent with both families during these initial weeks back. These visits will be a chance to reconnect with our extended families while recharging our batteries at the same time. Once the middle of July arrives, our schedule will pick up and we'll be "hitting the ground running" with regard to fund-raising. In the coming weeks, I'll be sure to update the blog with our schedule as it stands so that y'all know how to be praying.

In the meantime, please pray with us for the following:

(1) For our goodbye with the Forsythes tomorrow morning. Pray especially for Matthew and Susie as they adjust to having our kids away. Also, pray for the emotional ups and downs for everyone. Goodbyes are never easy--even when you know they are only for a period of time.

(2) For traveling mercies and that all of our 9 pieces of checked baggage will arrive together.

(3) For the transitions our family will be making over the next months as we travel from place to place and then again as we settle into a temporary home in North Carolina in August.

Thank you so much for your continued prayers for our family!

No comments: