Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Another Lesson in God's Timing

We were reminded again last week that the Lord is good and His timing is perfect. At Tayler's annual heart checkup last Monday (May 12), we were stunned--and I do mean stunned--to learn that the second angioplasty procedure needed years in the future was needed now. As I sat in the doctor's office with the kids, I just couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that he was not talking about an angioplasty in four years, two years, a year, or even six months. He was talking about one that would take place in less than 24 hours! My initial belief wazs that this was something that needed to be done within the year, but because of our uncertainty about when we would be leaving for language school in Mexico, he was scheduling it earlier rather than later (so that there would be time for follow-up appointments). Dr. Ebeid then told me that not only would he be doing the balloon procedure on one of Tayler's arteries, there might also be the need to put in up to two stents as well! Yikes! Needless to say, I was shell-shocked as I had to come home and break the news to Troy and to the rest of our family. Immediate requests for prayer were sent out literally around the world, something we are beyond grateful for. I don't think we can adequately express our gratitude for the love that was shown our family through the prayers lifted up on behalf of our daughter.

The next morning
, Troy's parents, John & Paula, arrived at our home about thirty minutes before we needed to be at the hospital for a family prayer session. John gently applied some anointing oil on Tayler's forehead and prayed for her, speaking for the family while the rest of us laid hands on her and prayed silently in agreement. We are firm believers in the use of anointing oil in occasions like this. We used it as we prayed over Tayler as a 12-day-old infant the morning of her open-heart surgery to correct the heard defect she'd been born with. We used it again as we prayed over her as a 6-month-old baby the night before her first angioplasty procedure, needed to open up her vessels narrowed by scar tissue from her surgery. The oil itself doesn't have healing powers, but there is something to be said for the calming, soothing scent of the oil breathed in as you gather around the one being prayed for.

When we had finished praying for her, we drove her to the hospital for the procedure. John, Paula and the kids waited in the waiting room while Troy and I sat with her in the procedure room while they prepped her for the angioplasty. The hardest thing for me as a mother is sitting helplessly by while my children suffer, knowing I can't take their place. I, who have bad veins, know the pain of having multiple needle sticks while the nurses try to start an IV in veins that don't want to cooperate. I, who have had four c-sections, know the fear of the unknown as you are lying on a narrow table, shivering to your very core because the room is so cold. And our daugther was scared, so very scared. Her pittifully uttered, "Mommy, I'm scared" tore right through me and made me long to grab her off of that table and bolt from the room. As she gradually fell asleep, I reminded her of the one thing that could bring comfort to her--indeed, the only comfort I was clinging to. As she went through that procedure, even though she'd be asleep for its entirety, she would not be alone. Yes, the doctors, nurses and technicians would be with her. More importantly, however, the One who made her, sustains her and saved her would be sitting right there with her in the room. "Even when Daddy and Mommy can't be with you, Tayler," I told her, "you won't be alone--Jesus will be with you." A beauteous smile slowly spread across her face and she nodded.

When everything was said and done, we know that the Lord was with her throughout the procedure. She came through it with flying colors, and, miraculously, did not need the stents at all! We are thankful for the way the Lord has touched Tayler and how He worked out all of the timing of this in the first place. A normal heart has about 35 percent pressure on it - before the procedure Tayler's was 85%. Obviously, this is something that desperately and immediately needed to be done! Amazingly, considering that her original check up was not scheduled until June 4, but because of our up-coming trip to Mexico City, had to re-scheduled, and the nurses "worked her in" for the May 12 appointment! I am thankful of this happening now while we still have such a good doctor and Children's hospital. I am thankful that it happened now while we had Troy's family living nearby to help take care of the kids. I am just thankful.

No comments: