Saturday, May 31, 2008

Affirmation of Our Call













Last night, Friday, we had the opportunity to attend one of the house churches here in the City. Now, of course I (Jenny) don't speak a lick of Spanish, so I was unsure of what to expect. As I honestly wasn't expecting anyone to speak any English, I planned for either Troy or his parents to interpret for me. We began the service with praise choruses (praising the Lord is MUCH more animated here in Mexico than it is in the States!), followed by a Bible study, prayer and then "fellowship time". I enjoyed listening to the praise songs in Spanish. I enjoyed hearing the Scripture read in Spanish. I enjoyed hearing the earnest prayers of the Mexicans there. During the Bible study on communion, one of the women asked a question that went something like this: "In the Catholic religion, in order to take communion, you must first confess your sins to a priest. In order to take communion in a Christian church, is there a pastor whom you confess to?" This question just broke my heart and, as I am an emotional person, the tears just started flowing. This is the very reason we are coming to Mexico--to tell the people that they don't need an intercessor: they can take their burdens and confess their sins to the Creator God Himself! What freedom! What unspeakable joy to be able to commune one on one with the Lord Jesus Christ! This woman's simple question served as God's reminder to me as to why He has called us to Mexico and I was humbled that He would send us.

No comments: