Thursday, May 31, 2012

A New Project

This month, as Troy filled two pulpits in Louisiana, I took three Sundays and spoke to the class he teaches at a local church about human trafficking. I greatly enjoyed my sessions with the class, and it showed me that I still have much to learn about this issue. Probably the coolest thing to come from my time of teaching, however, involves my latest project. I'd made up a packet of information to give to the members of the class. On the back page was a list of resources. Book titles, movie and documentary titles, as well as a list of anti-human trafficking websites to check out. Now, I've had this list since the beginning of November. And I've looked up a couple of the websites. But not all of them. In preparation for one of my last classes, I discovered that one of the links is to the Starfish Project. In further investigation, I was intrigued and very excited about what I found. The Starfish Project benefits previously exploited and/or trafficked women in Asia who have been rescued. This ministry provides shelters for the women, offers counseling, certain job training skills, and even provides them a way to earn a respectable living. By making jewelry. When I looked at the online catalog, I was amazed at what these women were able to accomplish. They are making beautiful products to sell, and in the process are gaining the self-confidence and self-assurance that providing for themselves brings. Many have asked me, "What can I do to help these women? I'm just one person." Yes, as individuals we can only do so much. The following parable was taken from their website and is a powerful reminder of what we can accomplish...even as just one person. One day, an old man was walking along a beach that was littered with thousands of starfish that had been washed ashore by the high tide. As he walked he came upon a young boy who was eagerly throwing the starfish back into the ocean, one by one. Puzzled, the man looked at the boy and asked what he was doing. Without looking up from his task, the boy simply replied, "I'm saving these starfish, Sir". The old man chuckled aloud, "Son, there are thousands of starfish and only one of you. What difference can you make?" The boy picked up a starfish, gently tossed it into the water and turning to the man, said, "It made a difference to that one!" YOU can make a difference for the women in these shelters. Proceeds from the sale of Starfish Project jewelry benefits their shelters and helps keep the ministry running. But the benefits don't stop there. I have just been accepted to be one of their sales representatives. Any purchase of jewelry you make THROUGH ME, will not only benefit the women in these Asian cities. It will also BENEFIT OUR FAMILY'S SUPPORT ACCOUNT, through a generous commission! What this means is that TWO ministries will be helped, and you get to have some truly beautiful jewelry pieces. I will be posting a link to the Starfish Project on this blog after my orientation period next week. You may click on that link, choose which pieces you'd like to order, and then in the final ordering screens, you'll have the option to choose which representative to order through. My name should appear on that list. If you have any questions, please email me (jennygentry06@gmail.com) and I will answer them as best I can. Along with that, I'll probably be hosting a few parties in the coming months. You can help by volunteering to host a party at your home and by inviting friends who would be interesting in this wonderful cause and ministry. You can also pass along the information to your friends. Word of mouth can be a powerful tool. Please be praying with me that I'm able to share with women everywhere about this cause that is dear to my heart, and that we're able to help the Starfish Project ministry and our missionary account with the sale of jewelry. Thank you so much!

No comments: